Monday, September 2, 2013

The Mysteries of God - Mystery # 4 - Spirit and Truth

Mystery # 4  - "Spirit and Truth"

What does it mean to be a true worshipper of God? Is it something mystic, where you fold your arms and legs and chant or hum? Nope, not at all. It involves two things:
  1. Spirit - with the soul (which is our mind, will, and emotions), with the very air we breathe or our breath, by the power and life of the Holy Spirit, with our mind, or mental disposition. (in the original Greek translation of this particular passage)
  2. Truth - truly, in verity, with nothing concealed or hidden (essentially with your whole heart). (in the original Greek translation of this particular passage)
Let's look at Jesus' instructions on the matter in John 4 (AMP). He was having a conversation with a Samaritan woman ("the woman at the well") on the subject. Now, let me pause and explain here that Samaritans were looked down upon by the Jewish people. In fact, Jews would purposely take the long way around Samaria, to avoid it at all cost. This was ridiculous, since going straight through Samaria shortened the trip significantly. However, Jesus did not feel this way. We know this, because He not only took the time to visit with this woman, but He also shared a DEEP spiritual truth with her concerning worship.

22 You [Samaritans] do not know what you are worshiping [you worship what you do not comprehend]. We do know what we are worshiping [we worship what we have knowledge of and understand], for [after all] salvation comes from [among] the Jews.
23 A time will come, however, indeed it is already here, when the true (genuine) worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth (reality); for the Father is seeking just such people as these as His worshipers.
24 God is a Spirit (a spiritual Being) and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (reality).
25 The woman said to Him, I know that Messiah is coming, He Who is called the Christ (the Anointed One); and when He arrives, He will tell us everything we need to know and make it clear to us.
26 Jesus said to her, I Who now speak with you am He.

I was not always a true worshiper of God. I used to balance somewhere between spectator and Sunday morning worshiper, only. But all of that changed in 1999 for me. What was it that was the spark, you ask? It was a WOW Worship CD (1999) that I bought. It had this one song on it that just resonated with me. I could not get it out of my head and found myself singing or humming it throughout my day.

The song was called "Shout to the Lord" and it was by Darlene Zschech from Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia. I immediately wanted to know more about this lady and church. I wanted to know if they had more songs like this. Thus began my love affair with Hillsong Worship music (LOL). Anyone that knows me, knows I am a bit Hillsong crazy. So crazy, that I went to Hillsong Conference in 2005. It was amazing and I can not wait to go back!

The passion and truth of this worship leader and team is undeniable. I was so blessed to have lunch with Darlene and a small group of people at the conference. By the way, I met her personally and was able to spend a little one on one time with just her. Let me tell you that she is the "Real Deal." There is nothing phony or fake about this amazing woman of God. She is as humble and as transparent as they come. My reason for meeting her was not because I am an aspiring worship leader. I was definitely not gifted with a worship leader's voice. However, I was created for worship, and so were YOU! This is why God made us - for worship (in spirit and in truth).

True worship does not start and stop on Sunday morning. It begins with YOU (just you) worshipping God throughout your day and week. Sunday morning is the crescendo of your personal worship experience, because it is now corporate (with other believers). Darlene says what takes us from being a spectator (someone entertained by the worship team) to a true worshipper is the condition of our heart. She also says the thing that tips music into worship is when we give our whole heart to Jesus in that moment. That's the key that makes all the difference in the world, because God wants your whole heart.

So, I want to encourage you to find the worship music that you feel resonates with your spirit (where you can feel the presence of God). I always recommend Hillsong Live or Hillsong United. I would also recommend Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, Jesus Culture, or a compilation of worship music, such as a WOW worship CD. If you are still into mainstream music, let me encourage you to start listening to Christian music.

Central Florida has a great radio station called the Z - 88.3. In Savannah and the Carolinas, there is His Radio (100.5 in Charleston, 96.5/98.3 in Charlotte,  91.3 in Asheville, 91.9 in Savannah/Hilton Head, 88.3 in Myrtle Beach, 90.1 in Fayetteville, 91.1/98.9 in Raleigh, and 89.3 in Greenville/Spartanburg).

It's a little difficult for some people to transition away from mainstream music to Christian music, but there is great value in it for your spirit. Ask yourself who secular music gives praise and worship to? Does it lift up your spirit or does it satisfy your flesh? Remember, we were made for worship, and if we are Christ followers, we need to be worshipping Him. This is what you were created for. You can worship in your car on your way to work, school, or the store. Just don't close your eyes, while you are driving. =) Some of my best times of worship have been in my car.

Worship is intimate communion with God. The purpose is to give Him all the glory that He alone is worthy of. He died for you and lives to make you new. Did you know that there are personal benefits to worship? Peace of mind, knowing the will of God for your life, resting in His life restoring presence, letting go of things that were bothering you (burdens and worries weighing you down), are just a few of the many benefits. You also are nurturing your relationship with God and your inner spirit will grow and mature through worship. You can't say that about secular music.

So, you don't have to be a Darlene Zschech to become a true worshipper of God. You can follow her example, as she follows Christ. Just begin to worship. You'll see a huge difference in your attitude and your level of faith in God. God wants your whole heart, because He already gave you His One and Only Son.

For a deeper understanding of worship from an amazing worship leader and pastor, please read these two articles from Christianity Today and Charisma Magazine.

In Spirit and Truth by Darlene Zschech
http://www.christiantoday.com/article/darlene.zschech.in.spirit.and.truth/8156.htm

Why You Must Fight to Worship by Darlene Zschech
http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/prayer/18080-the-heart-of-worship





2 comments:

  1. I can identify. I found that song about the same time, 1998. I think. We were homeschooling and I decided to teach my kids to sign it. Using your whole body as worship took me to a whole new level. That song is so anointed! Today, I really enjoy Pandora radio, particularly Keith Green radio. I also enjoy The Fish Hawaii as a change. I love the lady who announces between 11-3 Eastern time, Dawn O'Brien. It is refreshing. Love you Wendy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing. I took a course on Sign language, because I too wanted to learn to sign for worship. WOW! It is like the next level of worship. God is so good. Darlene amazes me. She goes full on, (as the Aussie's say), holding nothing back and I love it. She is a general in the Army of God and has taught me so much about worship (or worthship, as she calls it) Thank you for your encouragement. God bless you. =)

    ReplyDelete